Cricket Australia made an announcement on Thursday saying that Melbourne will be on standby to host the third test played between India and Australia if the covid-19 situation in Sydney renders it untenable despite there are efforts being made to carry on with the original schedule.
The fate of the third has been covered with unpredictability since the start of this month post the fresh covid-19 outbreak in Sydney’s northern beaches which will be scheduled to host the third test played on 7th January.
CA has given a reaffirmation to commit to providing its best chance to play the third Vodafone test in Sydney Cricket Grounds followed by the Fourth that would be played in Gabba, Brisbane in accordance to the origin Schedule.
Should the situation of Public health in New South Wales restore playing in Sydney Illogical? The main plan of the CA is to work with the Government of Victoria to play the third Vodafone test at the Melbourne Cricket Grounds, and the fourth to be played at Gabba, Brisbane.
The final decision for the venue of the third test shall be made during the Boxing day test.
Even though there have been some improvements in northern beaches, there are still some concerns with Queensland not wanting to grant the requisite exemptions, which means that players and media crews would not be able to travel from Sydney to Brisbane between the third and fourth tests.
Nonetheless, Nick Hockley, the interim chief executive officer of VA said that the board would be working very closely with the government of Queensland to obtain exemptions.
We are at a constructive process with the government of Queensland and have been inspired by the positive nature of discussions with them. Cricket Australia also thanked the government of Queensland for their support.
The record number of testings followed by the drop in transmission in a new community in the state of New South Wales have created cause for some positive vibe provided the situation in Sydney gradually commences to deteriorate. Hockley added that there were strong contingency plans in place.
The CEO Stuart Fox said earlier that Melbourne Cricket club is ready to host consecutive test matches between India and Australia, but would also like to see Sydney gain retention of the traditional New Year’s fest.
The Fox told the SEN radio that he has been in touch with Cricket Australia on a regular basis and the situation is that he would like to see the Sydney test being played in Sydney and there is no fun in relocating.
The Fox further added that they are hoping the Sydney test to remain in Sydney which is such an iconic test, and has its own traditions and they would very much hate to see it move to another venue. NSW offered to host the Brisbane test to save the New Year Fixture if the government of Queensland refuses to grant exemptions to the team who would return from Sydney.
Fox also said that there is no decision that has been pending and most probably the strategy would be to postponed and look upon the case numbers in Sydney.
A lot of thinking would be required when it comes to staffing, preparation of another pitch and sale of tickets. Cricket Australia is in a position , that yes Sydney test could be relocated to another destination, but yet hoping for the test to remain in Sydney. The Finale of the series will be scheduled to play at the Gabba on January 15.